Wednesday, March 15, 2006

GOOD Game .... BAD Call

OK OK …. I was excited to watch Japan vs. USA in the World Baseball Series. This was an exciting game to see some of Japan’s stars play against the American stars.

First of all, let me say again this was a good game. Of coarse being from the United States I was cheering for my home team. So I was happy to see them win. BUT….. I agree there was a mistake made in the 8th inning. I thought the umpire made a terrible call and the Japanese player should have been able to score. This would have made the game 4 – 3 for Japan. BUT…. In my opinion, that doesn’t mean Japan would have automatically won the game. In fact, I believe they still would have lost. Especially after watching how strong the US was in the 9th inning.

I have been listening to news from Japan and hearing all the complaints. I agree. Japanese fans should be upset. I would be very upset. But I think some fans and even politicians have taken the game too far. I have actually heard comments like “America is not honest” or “America is not fair”…. Just recently in the news a comment from the Environment Minister Yuriko Koike which said, “I thought the United States was a country of baseball and fairness, but it seems that this is not so.”

So I guess its all of the United States fault that there was a bad call and Japan lost the game… I think comments like these are completely stupid! In fact immature! But I know the frustration… Still umpires make bad calls. They do it in the United States and they do it in Japan. It was a bad call. But would it have changed the game???? I don’t know. But I don’t think so.

Both the United States and Japan have very good teams. The level of play is very close. I think if they play again it will be very close. Who will win I don’t know. Either team could win on any day I think. Its just fun to watch… I know the teams represent our countries and some people feel very strongly about this… but remember… it’s just a game. Games are supposed to be fun and exciting… this one was even with a bad call. Good luck to Japan and the United States.

2 comments:

peridoty said...

I understand your frustration. I agree that Japanese media a bit overreacted to that calls. Although the calls were bad, it doesn't mean the US in general is bad, does it? Even if that calls were wrong, that's only the umpire's fault. And that's only a game! Maybe Japanese got too excited about this tournament, partly because the field manager is Mr. Oh.

Howdy said...

Hi Peridoty!!

I agree with you. But congadulations JAPAN!! The United States lost last night so Japan is back in. I think they play Korea on Saturday... GO JAPAN!! I hope they finally beat Korea!!

By the way, I really like Mr. Oh. I think he is a really good team manager.