Thursday, July 05, 2007

Well the 4th of July holiday is going on in the United States. I wish I was there to relax and party a little. Our office there shut down for the whole week which makes me jealous!! But I guess next month we will get to shut down here so thats ok. I spent the 4th in Tsukuba working like a crazy man. I got home late last night. I am getting tired of the train ride up there. But it is a break out of the office which is good. So one more day back in the office and its finally the weekend!! I can`t wait because I have been running on about 4 hours night of sleep this whole week. Taking customers out drinking and to dinner. Its really not fun. But has to be done. But its one thing I really hate about the business culture here. I guess when I was younger I didn`t mind it that much. But now I just want the nights to myself. Next week I don`t think I need to do anything so I can come home at a good time and relax a little. I guess with any job anywhere there are things we don`t like. Basically I am enjoying living here. But the working hours are terrible. I had a girl at our office who came up to me at lunch and asked if it was ok if she left at 6:00pm. I said "of coarse", " if your job is done go". She told me she feels guilty leaving because so many people stay. I told her I am American so I don`t think anything when someone leaves at that time. But its not right for employees to feel guilty if they leave at 6:00pm. I think thats the management and culture aspect of the office thats the hardest. I had that same feeling when I worked at Sumitomo. There is a pressure to stay until most people start leaving. I can be in my office until 10:00pm before people start leaving. But I usually just go. After 8:30pm there really is not meaning in my life to be there. Its a job not my life. A lot of theses guys have no hobbies or other passions. Its like they just throw their whole life at the job morning and night. Thats good but in my opinion its not healthy for a balanced life. Anyway, I always hit on this. But I thought it was interesting a girl from my office would ask that question.
Well... just one more day and its relax time!

No comments: